Friday, October 28, 2005

Silly Stuff

Last evening I had a Parent/Teacher conference which is offered to all parents at the end of the first quarter. I met with Mrs. Landman, who is 5 feet tall and 22 yet looks 15. I just have personal issues with that, but I know she's a wonderful teacher. So, she starts off by saying that Ethan is just absolutely adorable and she can't help but love him because he always is giving her hugs. Yeah, he's an ass kisser. I've taught him well. Everything went as I knew it would based on his report card. He excels in Math, Science, Social Studies and Computer Class but he's not so hot in Reading, Writing, and Spelling. I know this. He dislikes reading and writing even more so. Still, I make him read and write his spelling words EVERY NIGHT! I'm probably even a little too hard on him. All I can do is keep working with him, but if anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do to spark his interest with reading and writing, please please please let me know.

Also last evening, my doggy wouldn't stop barking. He wanted to play and hop around the house like Sonic the Hedgehog. So I decided to get on all fours (get your minds out of the gutter, pervs) and bark back at my dog. He didn't know what to think, but he wasn't barking. Ethan saw me and decided that it looked fun so he got down on the floor with me and started barking at the dog. Rusty looked at me, then at Ethan, back at me, then toward Ethan and he must have said, "Fuck this, I'm taking the small crazy one. The big crazy one is just too fucking crazy." So he jumped at him.

Just a suggestion to dog owners, if your dog is having a problem with biting, don't try and bite the dog back. Not only does it piss the dog off and fill your mouth with hair, but it doesn't stop the dog from biting. Who'd of thunk it?

12 comments:

Opaco said...

Oh my god! That was funny. I don't think I would've tried biting the dog, but hey, at least I know now that it won't work. Thanks for testing that one for all of us. LOL

The Lily said...

If he does something you don't like swat him, say NO loud and deep. If he does it again, repeat but pin him to the ground until he stops struggling and lets out a big sigh. That is him acknowledging you as the alpha. The little ones are usually the most difficult to get to admit they aren't as big as they THINK they are. 'Specially Jacks.

The Lily said...

Pin him on his side NOT his back. Pinning him on his back might trigger the fighting for his life reaction.

Madwanderer said...

It's kira using Alex's account (and too lazy to switch it as I'd just have to switch it back for him when I'm done)...I'm in Columbia with the kids right now. I just thought I'd give you the ONE suggestion that I have to offer about the reading issue. Ari liked to be read TO, but she didn't seem too interested in reading on her own. This summer, I pondered the issue...she is great at science, math, and doesn't like reading, spelling so much. How do I get her interested?

I tried a stack of comic books. I'll be damned if it didn't work. She read over the summer (comic books only), and then when she started out the school year her reading was on a 3rd grade level instead of 2nd...just from comic books! She continues to make progress too and seems to like reading other things now as well. She'll never enjoy spelling. Can't convince her to like that. But she responds well to the "let's review" on Wednesday and Thursday night with the spelling words (Fridays are her test for spelling).

Bill said...

Variety is key, find a medium he enjoys. The comics, or even graphic novels (complete stories done with pictures and dialogue), magazines like kids Sports Illustrated, or books that are related to movies or TV shows he likes. There are whole series of books about young Anakin Skywalker for example.

And what the heck is up with 5 interceptions?

schmims said...

Maybe find books for him to read on subjects that he's really into that are on his level? I always loved to read so it wasn't a problem with me. My brother hates to read. I remember he was totally into all that boy stuff and durning Desert Storm my mom got him some magazine on the weapons and vehicles the armed forces were using. My bro read it so much that he had the thing memorized.

schmims said...

And snake books. He liked those too.

april said...

Opaco-No problem. Someone has to be the dumbass and try things like this. Why not me, right?

Clairebell-Thank you very much, I will try that for sure. I'll let you know what happens.

Kira-That's a great idea!! It's amazing how many similarities Ari & Ethan share. Don't ya think?

Bill-Thank you!! I didn't know they made a kids SI. How awesome is that?? As for the interceptions, I don't wanna talk about it. *crossing my arms and pouting*

Schmims-Thank you also. Funny, when I first read your last comment, I thought it said snake boots, not books. I was like, "What the hell is she talking about??" I'm a dummy.

Bill said...

There is subscription information at: http://www.sikids.com/

You could also break the sound on the TV and use closed captioning...

Maine said...

If you don't want your dog running around like Sonic the Hedgehog, don't leave hundreds of little gold rings all over the walls and ceilings and stuff! That's just baiting him!

Anonymous said...

Know this is an old post, and i'm only a "lurker", just read your site today, it's hilarious!! Anyways, a spray bottle works wonders! I have a puppy who had a biting problem and whenever she'd bite i'd say "spray bottle, no" then spray her. Now all I have to do is bring that thing out!

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » »