Monday, January 23, 2006

The making of mac 'n cheese

After the noodles are done boiling, drained, and I'm adding the butter:

Me: "Ethan will you get the milk out of the fridge, please?"
Ethan: "Sure, I'll get the measuring cup too."
Me: "You don't have to, I don't need it."
Ethan: "But the box says 1/4 cup milk."
Me: "I know, but I don't need a measuring cup. Thank you."
Ethan: "How are you going to know how much is a 1/4 cup?"
Me: "I'll just judge by eye."
Ethan: Now frantically looking in the cabinets and drawers...."No Mommy, I'll find you the measuring cup."
Me: "Ethan, stop. I've been making macaroni and cheese longer than you've been alive. So I don't need a measuring cup, I told you that I'll just use my eye to measure how much milk is enough."
Ethan: Now looking at me really worried...."Mommy, you aren't really going to squirt milk out of your eye and into the macaroni, are you? That would just be gross!"

Ahhhhh, ya gotta love Ripley's Believe It or Not. They aired an episode in which a man shot milk from his eye socket and that is what Ethan thought I was going to do. For one, I'm not that "talented" and second, that is just gross!

Since Schmims has requested more deep thoughts, I'm going to *TRY* to come up with one daily. Similar to Laurie's random thought of the day only mine will be titled Deep Throat of the Day and will usually be a (dumb) question. Preferably rhetorical, but if you care to answer then go right on ahead. Here's my first.....

Deep Throat of the Day: How bad did the world smell before deodorant was invented?

10 comments:

Opaco said...

that is a great thought of the day...

your kid is hilarious.

Randi said...

I used to have deodorantless Russian volunteers come in to do mailings at my old job and the room would smell so bad after they were done it would make you gag. So that's one room... the world? barf.

The Soviet said...

i guess it could have come out of your nose. i'm not sure which one is worse.

Macca said...

I'm glad I missed the "Planet Musk" days.

Bill said...

After the first little while you wouldn't notice. Besides, you would smell just as bad. There is an arguement that we modern homo sapiens smell worse than our unenlightened forebares because of all of the toxic crap we eat. I guess I should add drink too. Hangover BO=Disgusting!

Itchy said...

I would guess that the world smelled similar to my 8th grade gym class once the "mountain kids" joined our school...

pickett said...

Or a 13 year old boys soccer team after a game. P - U

schmims said...

I've made beer come out of my nose, but never milk out of my eye.

They don't wear deodorant in Kenya and no one smelled there. Probably becasue of the arid climate.

Grant said...

I used to love the old Kraft macaroni and powdered cheese until I discovered the real mac & cheese at my grocery's deli. I ate vegetarian for awhile - mac & cheese and steamed veggies on the side, until I noticed I was gaining weight. Even without meat, a meal comprised of mainly pasta with butter and heavy cream and several types of cheese is not entirely healthy.

Laurie said...

Isn't it awesome when your kids think you are a cooking GODDESS because you never needs measuring spoons or cups!!! BOW TO ME!!!!!