Thursday, March 15, 2007

He still has a dream

There is a patient, Wayne, who's been coming to see us for about a month and a half now. Every day that he walks into the office, he brings a sense of joy to me and automatically I smile. Why, you ask? Well you must know the story of Wayne's life over the past year.......

Wayne is a very successful electrical engineer making close to 6 figures a year. He has 2 sons who've both gotten married within the past 3 years and a beautiful little granddaughter who fills up the picture holder in his wallet. He's got a beautiful house on 12 acres, 2 cars, an ex-wife, 2 dogs, and a 4-wheeler. Well one day Wayne was riding his 4-wheeler on his 12-acres of land, having a grand time enjoying the beautiful weather, when he hit a bump and was knocked off the 4-wheeler. He fell to the ground and hit his head. The impact caused severe brain damage which put him in the hospital for almost a month. Wayne had to learn how to walk, feed himself, dress himself, and use the bathroom by himself. He's also no longer able to work because he can't remember how to do his job. He's unable to drive and talks with a terrible stutter.

Despite all that was lost and how significantly his life has changed, every appointment Wayne comes into the office with a big smile on his face. He's always laughing one of those deep-belly laughs that just make you smile from ear to ear when you hear it. He talks about going back to work eventually and being able to drive again with such sincerity that you can't help but to believe that one day this will happen for him.

I know I've been through a lot with losing my leg, but my situation doesn't even compare to what this man's gone through. And to see him so happy and optimistic just amazes me. We take so much for granted in our everyday lives and we never really stop to think about what would happen if we weren't able to do the little things that make up our daily routine.

Deep Throat of the Day: Sorry for getting all mushy on you bitches, but I felt compelled to tell y'all about Wayne!

9 comments:

Ron said...

WOW, you don't know how much I needed that kick in the ass.

I have been in a serious funk about things lately and stuff like that wakes me up a little.

Coley said...

April, that's just beautiful. Thank you for getting me all teary-eyed. People amaze me.

Sassy One said...

Sometimes someone just comes along to inspire us, and give us a little reality check.

NWJR said...

My brother is something of an advocate for people with disabilities, and he wisely pointed this out to me once--I have never forgotten it: The disability community is one we could all be a part of at any moment. We are one accident, one misstep, one unfortunate turn of events from being part of a group of people that many of us often deride.

He's right.

Anyway, I won't hijack your post any more. Beautifully said, April.

Randi said...

What a great story. I was reading People the other day and there was a minister that handed out purple bracelets for his congregation to wear. Every time they complained they had to switch it to the other wrist. Many people broke theirs from the constant changing of arms. Wouldn't it be nice to take a lesson from Wayne and that minster.

Angela Z said...

Great story. Reading it made me count my blessings......things can always be worse.

Anonymous said...

Loved the story about Wayne. I found your blog two days ago at work (where I have a fast computer and nothing to do) and have been reading your blog from the start. I love the way you right and I found myself laughing out loud several times. Thank you!

I have a blog, but I just don't have the nerve to be as blunt as you about my shitty co-workers and some of my family. I need to find a way to spice it up.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I enjoyed reading and will be a daily reader from now on.

Joni from Milwaukee, WI

Mojotek said...

It's stories like these that make me question how I would handle a tragedy like that. I'm definitely not an optimist, so I see myself not able to take it. But hearing how other people can be optimists in the face of such odds makes me want to see the bright side myself.

schmims said...

I wished I could forget how to do my job!