Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Oh Deer!

I've been commuting to work for just about 6 years now and here in the mountainous, Northern Virginia area I've seen my fair share of dead deer, road-kill if you will, along side the roads. I have not, however, seen anything remotely close to what I did not have time to prepare myself for this morning.

As I was coming into the beautiful city I work in this morning, I slowed down to stop at the approaching red light. I looked over to my right and saw a deer, we'll call him Bambi, running in the grass along side the road. Immediately I smiled because he looked like he was just hopping along so happily just enjoying the beautiful morning. Bambi then decided that he was going to hop across the road right in front of my stopped car which was amazing to me because he was just so close. Now he was in the median, just looking at the other side of the road that he wanted to get to. But WAIT!! I yelled to Bambi, "DON'T GO! DON'T GO!!" There were very fast cars approaching from the other side of the road and I urged Bambi not to cross. So fortunately Bambi heard me and turned back around and walked back in front of my car where he stopped and looked me for a brief moment. Then he turned back around and darted across the median and BOOOOOOOM SPLAT!!! Just like that, right in front of my very own eyes, I watched a Lexus SUV make Bambi explode into a million pieces. I screamed, AHHHHHHHHHH! Yes I did. I screamed. Then I wanted to puke at the sight of little Bambi pieces on my windshield.

FUCKING GROSS!

Hope y'all have been doing alright. Ethan and I have been GREAT!!

Deep Throat of the Day: I could have gone my WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE without seeing that and I would've been just fine.

16 comments:

Coley said...

Oh April, that's just awful. Poor little guy.

PS. For the love of all things holy, UPDATE!

NWJR said...

I've seen what those "poor little guys" can do to a lesser car and its occupants. Personally, I'm able to garner up more gratitude that the driver is OK than I am sympathy for the deer.*

Although I do have a twinge of sadness. Still: "Big bright fast moving car"+"deer to stupid to get out of the way"=Darwinism at its finest.

Randi said...

Poor Bambi. Such a lady like name for a boy deer. Short for bambino? Either way...
Sucks you had to see that. I hit a seagull once and its feathers trailed behind my car. I wept.

april said...

Coley: You're right, I do need to update more. I have no excuses, I'm just a slacker.

NWJR: I'm also happy that the passenger wasn't injured and I probably should've expressed that in my post, but the noxious feeling I got in my stomach took over my fingers as I was typing the story. =)

Randi: You know, up until recently I thought that the character Bambi was a girl deer. But after some extensive research, it appears that Bambi is a boy deer. Crazy isn't it?

Bill said...

I have been fortunate to have never actually kill a deer. I did nudge one once. Central WI has a few hundred thousand running around. My father's coworkers nicknamed his 1980 Ford Fairmont the deer slayer. He once had three deer run into the side of his car at the same time.

The worst I have seen was a dog on a highway in NC. I was getting ready to enter the highway and it ran in front of a pick-up with a trailer... all the wheels on the right side. Nothing you can do about it though sometimes.

Amanda said...

Poor April! I'm sorry you had to see that. I've hit three deer, one of which came through my windshield. I cried every time.

jsll28fl@yahoo said...

well damn
there is no way i could eat that poor assed deer if you were to fry it for me and serve it with some fresh vegies and maybe some fried irish taters.
I'm pretty much against such grub. But i suspect Ethan likes it ok so I guess I could choke it down if I had to.
And if you have to hunt one I would prolly help you even though I'm against it, I'd just do it for you.
anyway hope you got the blood off your windshield.
js

J R Estelle said...

That sucks. But I've seen a deer total a Dodge Ram Quad Cab 3500 pick-up, that's a big truck as you might know and there are so many deer running around. Not that seeing it happen makes it any better.

The Soviet said...

ew. ew. ew.

poor bambi. we have the deers back in idaho, too, and my dad always cautioned that where there's one deer, there's usually one more. and he was usually right. so while you were mortified watching bambi explode, bambi's lover was probably behind the first row of trees watching it all go down.

Anonymous said...

No one needs to see that especially animal lovers.

Sexy in Milwaukee.

The Lily said...

What are the roadkill laws for the state? I am sure that "bambi bits" would be terrific on the jerky market.

I keed, I keed.

Sherri said...

I am sooo sorry. That's a horrible thing to have to see.

Christie said...

oh my.....

Itchy said...

Yeah...I had that happen to me once. I've not been the same since...

Carmel Beauty said...

I am so sorry you had to see that and bambi had to have that happen to them I avoid all animals while on the road if at all possible it makes me sick to my stomach to think they would be hurt or hurting inOk I have just started a blog so you may want to check it out from time to time it is www.ishouldbeworkingbutwhywhenicanblog.blogspot.com any way.

mojotek said...

Aye Carumba! I probably would have puked myself. So how was that for starting your day?