Thursday, April 17, 2008

It's a boy

The ex and his girlfriend had their baby yesterday. A little boy named Samuel Alexander. He is such a cute little guy with peach fuzz blonde hair and blue eyes. Ethan is just as excited as can be to be a big brother. Even more excited that it's a boy. He was really hoping not to get a sister. Anyway, Ethan and I went to visit them in the hospital and I was completely shocked to see this sign behind the door.

The small print goes on to say something like shaking the baby can cause the same amount of damage as dropping them on the floor. Holy shit! I don't know about you, but I was amazed that they would even think to put a sign like that behind every door of the birthing suites. Do people actually pop kids out and immediately start shaking them like crazy? I would think that someone had to shake a baby for them to put a sign like that up. So I asked the nurse. NO. No one shook any babies in that hospital that she knows of. They put the signs up as a precaution. A precaution? What the fuck? I cannot believe that it needs to be said, in a sign behind the door, not to shake the baby. Wow. I'm just speechless.

Deep Throat of the Day: Don't shake any babies, dammit!

9 comments:

The Lily said...

On the bright side? At least they didn't name him: Jaedynn Hunntere or something equally as extra-lettered.

Jim McKee said...

I think the sign is not because people shook babies IN the hospital... but rather, they are trying to leave that thought in people's heads for future reference.

NWJR said...

If you shake the baby, the cork will pop out with increased force and possibly injure someone.

Wait...that's champagne.

I always get those two confused.

Coley said...

See, I'm with you, I thought this was pretty well known. But then I read somewhere that something like half of all parents aren't aware that shaking a baby is bad.
And this is why you should have to get a license to procreate. Just amazing.

Samantha said...

so wait, your not supposed to shake the baby in the hospital lol or period ? Amazing that someone would need to be told this!

Have a great weekend!

Kira said...

Okay, I guess I have a different perspective on this one. Parents don't usually shake the baby after the baby is born, right there in the hospital. They shake the baby at a month or two old when the child's been crying nonstop and they have had no sleep and they just lose their shit. It's one of the major forms physical child abuse takes at that age, and it causes death or disability. Some dumbasses think that as long as they aren't dropping or spanking the baby, what the hell can that do? I think the sign is just an attempt to warn folks of this danger before the parents get to that point. It really IS a big issue. Trust me. I used to work at DSS in foster care.

That being said, I'm not sure the folks who will end up shaking their babies are typically literate, so they shouldn't have written the information down on a piece of paper.

J R Estelle said...

it frightens me that you have to tell someone NOT to shake a baby! Well no shit, sherlock, since you're also 50 times the size of said baby.

Sassy One said...

When I was having my son there were posters and signs all over the halls saying not to shake your baby, etc, etc. If you have to be told, maybe you shouldn't be having one....

Southern Sage said...

hey sexy
hope the tornados didn't get u!