Friday, November 21, 2008

Teach your own

Last night the wife and daughter of my boss stopped by our office. As usual I started chatting with her and she mentioned that she stopped by because their daughters had their "graduation" from an etiquette class they were taking. I asked what was taught in the class and she said that it was basically manners and how to use the silverware properly, how to introduce yourself, etc. My first thought, how fucking ridiculous!

Their daughters are 8 and 10. I have met them both and they're very sweet, somewhat shy, very typical 8 and 10 years old girls. They're children. Children are going to do things that aren't always the so called "proper" etiquette, but THEY'RE CHILDREN! And I firmly believe it's the parents job to teach their children manners, not some hoity-toity etiquette class.

To take this another step, I feel that this is part of the problem with a lot of parents today. Too many parents are relying on other people to teach their children the things that should be taught at home. They're relying on the schools to teach their children about drugs and sex because they're subjects easier left up to someone else, I guess. I think it's ridiculous. It's ridiculous to depend on other people to teach your children what's right and wrong. Take some fucking control over your children and do what parents are supposed to do. It's a parents job to teach their children when to say please and thank you, not to wipe your nose with the back of your hand, cover your mouth when you cough, eat with your fork and spoon not your fingers, respect your elders, etc. Those are all the things I teach my son and more. I don't need to send him to an etiquette class! Why? Because he KNOWS how to do those things. Why? Because I taught him!

In other news, I got the head cold. My shit's all stuffed up and I'm forced to breathe from my mouth rather than my nose as I normally do. It's driving me fucking crazy! I'm waking up in the middle of the night with the driest, nastiest mouth I've ever experienced. Yucky!

Other than that, things are going really really well living with Joe. I'm all domesticated with the cooking, cleaning, and doing laundry. And I love it! He's taking a pro-active role with Ethan by picking him up from school for me, making sure he's started his homework, talking to him like their friends and not like he's his dad. Ethan respects him, as he should. All in all, it's awesome and I'm so damn happy!

Deep Throat of the Day: Take the time to teach your own kids!

10 comments:

NWJR said...

Damn straight.

Kira said...

Although I agree with the concept entirely that the instruction starts at the home, have you ever considered that maybe the wife of your boss actually doesn't have manners so she needed somebody else to teach them to her girls? ;)

I remember being in eighth grade and going on a big trip to Washington DC. It was our "graduation" trip for our class. We had one night we were supposed to eat in a fancy restaurant. Here I was, the wildest one of the bunch who was the biggest goofball, and I was stuck teaching all these kids info like, "you start your way on the outside and work your way in" with silverware ("Kira, there's two forks here!!! And what's this extra spoon for horizontal to my plate???), and...don't smack the waiter, he's doing his job by laying the napkin on your lap. But they really had no clue on what to do, and it scared them. When I went home, I thanked my mom and dad for teaching me all that piddly stuff. I had always taken it for granted...until that point.

Southern Sage said...

OMG!
personal responsibility??
Did you wake up a conservative??
haaaaaaaaaaaaa
preach on sista, same thing I have been saying for a year, thats why I vote the way I do!!

Sweet that things are going great with Joe, thats awesome!

NWJR said...

kira: Unfortunately, the parents who are sending their kids away to learn those things aren't the ones lacking the skills in the first place. :-)

Richard said...

It's a sign of the times. many parents don't have the time to teach there children anything. So they depend upon others to do it for them.

Amanda said...

You can't buy manners or class. The woman from the Charleston School of Protocol and Etiquette was offering a workshop on basic etiquette - how to walk into a room, how to sit. You know, the stuff you should know by the time you're five! I had more fun watching the other participants correcting themselves than listening to anything she said.

hotdrwife said...

Zicam. I swear by the stuff when I'm all stuffed up. Feel better!

Randi said...

I took cotillion when I was in junior high and they taught us not only manners but dances and how to act in a formal setting. That's not to say we didn't learn it at home, but it was also a great way to "learn" to socialize and act like a mature young adult.
And I can't believe I just wrote that because we seriously did the polka and the bunny hop.
LOL

Anonymous said...

Today parents, teachers, and business leaders are recognizing the importance of having skills in communication and socialization. The Jon D. Williams Cotillions are dedicated to instructing their students in developing better communication and social etiquette skills. This education is instrumental in preparing students for future social, college, business and career opportunities.

Regardless of social or economic background, developing self-confidence, pride, sensitivity and social responsibility will create a foundation for success. The cotillion program motivates young people to conduct themselves from a point of good will, with an acute sense of self-control and propriety. An emphasis is placed on the humanistic qualities of being considerate to others, courteous, and understanding that having good manners is a form of leadership.

Subject matter that constitutes part of the program includes:

The Purpose of Manners, Common Courtesy and Respect for Others, How To Introduce Yourself, The Art of Conversation, First Impressions, Table Etiquette and Table Manners.

So if your child is one who interrupts adult conversations, throws his things on the floor when he comes home, and eats with his hand in a fist around his fork, perhaps you've more teaching to do, madam.

april said...

Anonymous: Thanks for all of that, however my son is not a child who does any of those things. Why? Because *I* teach him not to. I do not need other people teaching my child how to behave. That is MY job!!