Thursday, December 11, 2008

Common sense or lack thereof

Prior to moving in with Joe, a friend of his, we'll call Hippie, used to come over often during the week. He's a jobless, raging democrat, who lives in his mother's basement because getting a job means working for "the man" and selling your soul to corporate America. Due to his lifestyle, he would show up at Joe's whenever he wanted, usually after 9 or 10 p.m. and hang out until whenever.

Apparently the fact that Joe's girlfriend (me) and son (Ethan) moved in doesn't really mean much to Hippie because he still continues to show up when most normal people who work a Mon-Fri day job are going to bed.

I understand that it's something that he's been doing but Joe's life has changed. You would think that he'd have enough common sense to at least ASK if it were ok for him to still be coming over so late in the evening. But no, he just shows the fuck up or says he's going to be here in 10 minutes. Hippie's 10 minutes = 1 hour.

I have explained to Joe that even though I've told him that I don't want him to feel like his life has to change completely, there are some things that need to be taken into consideration when you have your girlfriend and her son move in. I do not mind him going over his friends houses or having people come over, but this shit with Hippie is ridiculous. And rude. I would NEVER show up at a friends house at 10 o'clock at night during the week if I knew they had to get up early for work.

So I tell him that it bothers me that he comes over so late and I think he should tell the guy that if he can't get here by 9, then don't bother to come over. And then I feel like a bitch for saying it because it's his friend and I don't want him to think I'm some controlling bitch. Because really? I'm the farthest thing from a controlling bitch. There's not a whole lotta shit that bothers me. But I guess I just expect people to have common courtesy and common sense.

Deep Throat of the Day: Hippie just said he got a job and is getting his own place.

5 comments:

goooooood girl said...

i like your blog......

Kira said...

What surprises me the most is that it doesn't bother JOE, either. Nobody's allowed to just show up on my doorstep unless it's a crisis of some sort. And shoot, 10p? That's time for Ethan to go to bed and you guys to be having wild monkey sex.

Ron said...

A couple of our friends do that. They don't seem to get that Mike gets up at 3am. He's only been on that schedule for oh I don't know TWELVE FREAKIN YEARS!

It's amazing.

No you're not being a bitch by the way. Well...you are kind of bitchy and that's why I worship the ground you walk on, but you're not being bitchy in this situation.

Grant said...

Next time tell Hippie you're so glad he showed at 10 because you've just started your nightly routine of primal scream therapy and farting into people's faces.

april said...

Kira: I don't know if it bothers Joe or not. I think because it's something that's been happening for years, he's just used to it. And I did tell him that I didn't want his life to have to change because I moved in. Naturally, it's going to change, but I was speaking mostly of his habits. His friends are very important to him and I didn't want him to feel like he couldn't spend time with them because it would upset me. He's not spent as much time with them as he used to but not because I don't want him to. I assume it's because he wants to spend his time with me. Which I'm not complaining about that at all. I have told him that it bothers me and that I would really like him to ask James to make an effort to get here at a decent hour. I don't know if he'll say anything because he's not one for confrontation. So, I don't know. We'll see.

Ron: Last night I was straight up being a bitch. Very much unnecessarily. I was already irritated with Ethan and had a shitty day at work, so I was just a fucking bitch. I apologized to him because he is so wonderful that he most certainly doesn't deserve me being a bitch to him.

Grant: What a GREAT idea! I'm totally going to fart in his face. =)