Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Silver lining my ass

So I got the call Sunday night from the doctor telling me that he decided to go with someone who had managerial experience. He said that it's all about timing and right now he's having some personnel issues that need to be handled by someone who's had to handle those sort of issues before. He told me that he had ten possible candidates, 9 of which had managerial experience, and one who didn't. Out of those 10 people I made it into the top 3 because he feels that I have a lot of wonderful qualities that would work well in his office. But right now isn't the best time. He went on to say that he'd like to keep the door open with me because you never know what's going to happen in the future, blah blah blah. I felt like saying, "You're making a mistake!" But I didn't. I kept my integrity and thanked him for his time and considering me and to call me if something opens up in the future. Whatever.

My boss has already interviewed several people and has narrowed it down to 2 people to replace me. He's concerned that they might not be able to start in a couple weeks, which is when I hopefully will be able to find another job. I don't feel bad for his dilemma because I never gave him my notice. All I told him was that I was looking and that I had an interview with a friend of his, which I was forced to do just to even be able to have an interview with the guy. He could've waited to place the ad until I knew if I had the job or not. I'm sure that his friend wouldn't have had a problem with me giving a longer notice than 2 weeks to make sure that my current boss was able to find my replacement and for me to train her properly. UGH!

So after that call I spent hours online looking for jobs, sending out a handful of resumes. One company I emailed my resume to at 8:30 yesterday morning and at 11:00 they called me. I have an interview on Friday at 1:00. This sounds like a really great company. They deal primarily with mental health issues in foster children and help to mentally rehabilitate former inmates. They're starting a new centralized billing department because currently each of their 15 offices are doing their billing on site. I spoke with the guy for about 30 minutes and I told him of my goal to take the next step in my career to management. He told me that he liked that I have goals and already he was impressed. Then he explained that they will be hiring several people to do the billing and one of those people will be promoted to manage the billing department. As of now, he'll be managing it and he's got too much on his plate to manage it permanently. So basically, once I get the job it'll be a working interview for the managing position. I don't want to jump ahead of myself, because I've gotta actually get the job first, but once I do that managing position is MINE! And that's that!

In other news, Joe's been sick since Wednesday night of last week. Started off with the flu and turned into tonsillitis. Then last night Ethan started complaining of his whole body aching and a headache. I took his temperature and he had a fever of 101.8. This morning he's coughing, runny nose, sore throat and still has a fever. I'm taking him to the doctor at 11:00. Everyone is sick in this house and I'm praying that I don't get it too because it's a nasty bug!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week so far!

Deep Throat of the Day: Part of me is still wishing for the doctor to call me and say he's made a mistake and he wants to offer me the job. I need to let it go!

4 comments:

Grant said...

You should write him a polite note, one of the kinds that includes words like "...and if my demands are not met, the screams of those who have wronged me and the smell of charred human flesh will fill your office." Can't hurt.

Amanda said...

I had a suggestion, but I like Grant's idea much better!

Kira said...

Sometimes these things turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I mean, you don't know what that huge ISSUE is that the person walking in has to handle--could have been the nightmare of your life. One time, after only one year's worth of teaching experience, I came up for a full time job at a local tech school. I was interviewed which was already remarkable because over 80 people had applied for the job, and they only interviewed ten. I didn't have the three years of experience they wanted, but they already knew I did a great job there as an adjunct, so they decided to give it a whirl. Then I was one of four candidates who got a teaching demo. But they took somebody else in the long run. Now, at first I was depressed, but now that I'm in a better situation job-wise, I can look back and go, "DAMN--I'm so glad I left that place!" And if you think I'm just trying to put a bright side on stuff, ask Amanda how fun Tech was/is ;) (the students are actually great--it's everything else that makes you wish you didn't have to work for a living).

NWJR said...

I once interviewed for my "dream job" at an unbelievable Fortune 500 company that EVERYONE wanted to work for. After a grueling set of interviews with what must have been half the staff of the department, it came down to me and one other person, and when I didn't get it, I was positively devastated.

A month later, the bottom dropped out of the economy, and they ended up laying off over half their workforce. I would have been one of the first.

So, yeah...what Kira said. You're ambitious and motivated. Good things will come your way. Without going all "Dr. Phil" on you, hang in there.