Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Should I stay or should I go now

The doctor mentioned in the bottom portion of this post called me again last night and offered me a job. It's not the Office Manager position that I had initially interviewed for and wanted SO BADLY! No, it's a different position doing things I already know how to do. But, I'll get to "work side-by-side with the Office Manager" according to the doc. Whooptie-fucking-doo! Working side-by-side to the office manager is not a goal of mine and is something I've done in every single job I've had. And let me tell ya, it's not all he made it cracked up to be.

He did offer me more money, which is nice, but the hours are not as flexible as where I work now. It's a farther drive at 8.6 miles as opposed to the 3.5 I'm currently driving. I know, I know, 5 miles is nothing, right? WRONG! In Northern Virginia, 5 miles can equal 30-45 minutes depending on where you're traveling. Unfortunately, those 5 miles are on an interstate. I don't know that I want to do the job he has offered.

Although there is still one person left in my current office who makes me crazy, this place isn't all that bad. I mentioned the flexibility of my hours. I can pretty much come and go as I please. For example, I decided Monday afternoon that I'm taking this Friday off. I didn't ask anyone if it's ok, because I don't have to. I just told the doc that I'm taking Friday off, it's that simple. The office manager and I have become confidants, which is nice. And really? The doctor here LOVES ME. There is nothing that he wouldn't do to ensure my happiness here. Ok, so maybe there's *some* things, but you know what I mean.

The biggest problem I have with working at my current office is that I was brought in to change things. I've been here for 5 months and not a single thing has changed. All of the ideas I've brought that the doctor loves and wants to implement, have not been done. Many of the things that are needed are things that I need to get my job done in a timely, effective manner. I don't like working like this.

So, I think I'm not going to take this job offer and I'm going to sit down with the doctor and tell him how I feel. Let him know that I have an offer for another job and that I'm really disappointed and somewhat unhappy that in 5 months, nothing has changed. I want to do what I was brought here to do. Hopefully that will light a fire under his ass and make things happen around here.

Deep Throat of the Day: Is it wrong for your boss to say to you, "I love you, but not in a romantic way"?

4 comments:

Grant said...

It's wrong. Your boss should say something like "I love you in a way that will involve you dressing like a lamb and taking it up the butt." I swear, the quality of sexual harassment has dropped over the years. Americans have lost their pride in the workplace.

Southern Sage said...

Well thats probably the right thing to do with your doc. LOL@ grant.

Another Suburban Mom said...

I think that its probably the right thing to do.

The love? I am sure he meant it in the nicest way, but there are more appropriate ways to express your happiness with your employee.

Alex said...

Best of luck in the job search. It sucks to work with people who drive you crazy - especially when things you really want to change...don't.

Best of luck!

Alex from Alexandria, VA