Friday, October 30, 2009

Show me the boob!

In honor of October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the local news channel (ABC 7 D.C.) is having real women demonstrating the proper way to perform a self examination of their breast. You can read an article about it here.

This story is making national news and is all the talk around town. Many people are speculating that they're only doing this to boost their ratings since it's sweeps week. Either way, I think it's a wonderful idea. But of course, like the linked article says, there are parental watchdog groups that are taking issue with it. What if there's a kid in the room when the breast is shown? BIG FUCKING DEAL!

I know I've somewhat written about my thoughts on nudity around children before, but that was a long time ago and I want to discuss it again. But before I do, I want to first say that I understand everyone has different beliefs and styles of parenting. Just because I don't agree with some beliefs and parenting styles that doesn't mean they're wrong.

Nudity to children is what parents make of it. When parents make nudity taboo, then seeing a breast in a nonsexual manner automatically becomes a big deal. I wish more parents would normalize nudity in their households and explain to their children that nudity does not equal sex or anything sexual. If they felt comfortable being naked around their children then their children would be used to seeing body parts. Therefore when a breast being self-examined popped up on their tv, they wouldn't be all, "OMG LOOK! THERE'S A BOOB ON THE TUBE!" *giggle giggle point point* It would be more along the lines of, "Mom, what's for dinner?" But you don't have to be naked around your children to normalize nudity. Talk to them. Teach them. Don't shelter them.

The views usually stem from how we're raised. Joe was raised in a very traditional, Catholic home where being naked around your family was not acceptable. Joe thinks it's weird that Ethan doesn't think twice about being naked around me or vice versa. My upbringing wasn't like his, but it wasn't liberal with the nudity either. My dad (who raised me) never expressed that nudity was wrong but he didn't walk around the house naked either. Because of that I have the belief that if you normalize nudity to your children, they won't grow up getting a boner every time they see a nipple. I also believe parents need to talk to their children about their bodies and how they function BEFORE they learn about it in 5th grade health class....but that's the start of another post.

The bottom line is that I'm so sick of these parental watchdog groups making a fuss over stupid shit just because they raise their children in a bubble with a sense of entitlement . A self breast exam is NOT A SEXUAL ACT and is very informative! And? It just may save a life.

To these uptight parents stirring the pot about what ABC 7 is doing: STOP! Teach your children not to be ashamed or embarrassed when they see flesh because it's just a body part, not sex. Boobs are just boobs until they have a dick sliding between them. THEN you can complain.

Deep Throat of the Day: We need to send the parental watchdogs to Europe!

10 comments:

Grant said...

That article was lame because it didn't include pictures. But I'm totally down with hot naked chicks. You should post some nude pics of yourself on your blog. Or, if you're a scairdy-cat, pictures of Sora Aoi. I assume that was your point.

Bri said...

Yes, America the Prudish!!! LOL... I'm right there with you on the self breast exam demo being something that could save a life..and not something XXX rated! I've said and felt the same way about nudity in my own home... as well as, I've tried to keep the "prude-mentality" from being overly prevalent in my own home... :)

Bri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maine said...

I disagree. Nobody should complain about dicks sliding between boobs either.

Dewey's System said...

I have kids and I'm not comfortable being naked around them, but at the same time, I also encourage them to love their bodies, don't be ashamed of them, and that they are beautiful. I try to keep what I think is an appropriate boundary between not being a crazy parental watchdog and not being a full blown nudist exhibitionist. -balance-

April said...

Grant: You can always read between the lines of my posts. You're the best!

Bri: Great minds think alike!

Maine: I agree if adults were watching. However I would probably complain if my child was watching the 5 pm news with me and then all of the sudden they start giving titty fucking instruction complete with a demonstration. I'm sure you wouldn't want your daughters seeing that either.....or maybe you would?? =)

Dewey: Your approach sounds similar to my dads. He didn't normalize nudity by being nude, rather talking openly with me about my body and giving me a healthy image, not a taboo image, of nudity. (although he totally blew it when I started my first period) But good for you!!

Hubman said...

Dammit, Dewey beat me to my comment...

Sassy said...

I agree: Balance.
This particular instance...people really just need to grow up and understand that just because a boob is on tv doesn't mean it's sexual. Discussion should happen...it could save a life.

R said...

Huh, huh...she said "boob". Huh, huh.

Jack and Jill said...

I agree! It's unfortunate that so many uptight people pass their hangups about nudity and body image on to their children. If more people realized that there is nothing necessarily salacious about the human body, I think society would be a little less screwed up.

Jill