Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Why I couldn't be a Feminist

Lately I've been reading the writings from many different Feminists I've found across the web. I wanted to see if many of them shared the same view points that I disagree with or if it was the select few that I read daily who have these views. What I found is that most of them all wrote along the same lines as each other and shared the same views. And I've determined that I could never be a feminist. Here's why: (This is not a personal attack against anyone or Feminists, just a list of why *I* couldn't identify as a Feminist.)

I would never want leave my house if I walked around with the mentality that "every man is a potential rapist".

I would never want to leave my house because I'd get really pissed at any man who checked me out. How dare you check me out! I'm not a sexual object!!!

I would have a hard time shopping because too many stores objectify women in their ads and I wouldn't want to support that store by giving them my money.

I would never again want to watch movies (especially Disney) or television, read blogs, join Facebook, Twitter, etc. if I found racism, sexism, rape culture, transism, misogynistic comments, and violence in EVERYTHING regardless of how far-fetched it seemed to others. Unless of course the movies, t.v. shows, blogs, Facebook pages, and Tweets were by others who thought like me.

I would have to ignore how far our country has come with civil and women's rights and act like we're still living in the 1950's.

I would feel like everyone's a racist in the United States.

I would diminish the accomplishments of caucasians by saying their accomplishments were achieved due to the privilege they were born with.

I would discount the accomplishments of minorities by saying they're the exceptions to their under-privilege.


I would hate myself for identifying with the gender I was born with, even though I called myself a feminist. Yet I'd somehow still be proud to be a woman.

I would fight for everyone's equality while still labeling and categorizing everyone.

I would feel guilty for wanting to find a man to share my life with and I wouldn't know which desire I wanted more; to be a strong independent woman or find someone to love because I'm not quite sure I can do both.

I'd feel even more guilty if I DID choose to find love. I'd love to cook and clean for him because even though it makes ME feel good to do those things, that's just going against the Feminist Movement.

And what if he wanted me to have babies? I wouldn't know what to do! Should I be mad at him for thinking that just because I'm a woman and have uterus, I want to have babies? Or should I accept that a wonderful part of being a woman is that I can have babies?

Say I chose to have a baby. I wouldn't know what to do when it came to making a choice between being a working mom or a stay at home mom. I mean, the differing views Feminists have on this would just boggle my mind. I don't think I'd be right with either decision.

Sheew! Life would be confusing.

Deep Throat of the Day: Is there anything in between?

12 comments:

The Lily said...

Don't forget that you would fight for equality while still expecting different standards for women.

There is a middle ground but unfortunately the reasonable middle ground gets drowned out with the rantings of the polarized points of view.

Joker_SATX said...

There is always something in between...the key to life is Balance. The most powerful and respected women of our culture have out performed men while keeping their femininity intact!

Good post!

Sue said...

Just keep being yourself. Leave the labels up to everyone else.

Grant said...

I hate it when they have such a rigid definition of what women should want that they attack the ones who willingly stay home to take care of the house and kids. Who decided that the ones who get to go to work / fight in combat are the lucky ones? I often wish I could marry a hot bunny corporate executive so I could stay at home and be a house husband.

Dark Damian said...

Plus feminists have to stand on their own two feet, and you....well babe, you know you can't do that.

(I had to. I know you'll beat me with your prosthetic later, but I HAD to. Forgive me.)

R said...

That's why labels are for jars, not people. :-)

chris said...

This is one of the stupidest rants I have ever read on the internet.

So, congratulations, I guess.

April said...

I love how people hide behind anonymous blogger ID's and go around being assholes on the internet. Congratulations to you, too. I guess.

Eliot said...

I've never been to your blog before. I know of you from Britni's blog. Found this via neamhspleach's blog. I just wanted to say that I love this post and those are the exact reasons why I'm not a so-called feminist. Thank you for being a rational voice inside of so much irrational screaming.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I am all for fighting the fight but most Feminists are just embarrassing. Taking things to the extreme just doesn't help the cause. Like you said we need something in between.

Great post!!!

Tepid said...

to me, suffrage has ALWAYS been about providing women with more choices. Not about what they do with their options.

and from MY experience, there's more prejudice towards stay-at-home dads than anything a mama does. one buddy was asked to LEAVE a parkdate with his children because he was a DAD. :/ damn pity. SAHDs are WAY COOL!!

Enjoyed the post!

Tepid said...

to me, suffrage has ALWAYS been about providing women with more choices. Not about what they do with their options.

and from MY experience, there's more prejudice towards stay-at-home dads than anything a mama does. one buddy was asked to LEAVE a parkdate with his children because he was a DAD. :/ damn pity. SAHDs are WAY COOL!!

Enjoyed the post!