Monday, May 03, 2010

My face hurts

Why does my face hurt? Well, maybe it's because I haven't stopped smiling since Saturday night. Why, you ask? I'd say it's because Joe proposed to me on Saturday night and of course I said, "YES!!"

DETAILS! I'm sure you want details, right? You're gonna get 'em anyway....

We went out to dinner to celebrate his birthday which was last Thursday. We were at a nice waterfront restaurant that we'd never been to. Several times he mentioned that he thought the restaurant was going to be more romantic and private.

After dinner I went to the restroom. When I came back to the table, the server brought out a big bouquet of flowers. I was surprised because we were there for HIS birthday. I was happy and hugged him and all that mushy stuff. Then we left and went for a walk on the pier.

At the end of the pier there was a gazebo. We were standing there under the gazebo just looking at the pretty scenery, him smoking a cigarette, me using my electronic cigarette. I hugged him and told him, "Your heart is beating so fast!" He said, "Must be because of the cigarette." I said, "That's why you need to start vaping!" (the term for "smoking" an electronic cigarette)

He put out his cig and pulled out a card that was tucked in the back of his pants, "I got a card for you, too!" I opened the card and read the most beautiful words written by him. He wrote something along the lines of saying that for the past 30 years, May 1st has always been a sad day (his mom died on May 1st right after his 4th birthday) and he's always wanted to change the meaning of that day.....now he can change it. Those were the last words of the card. So I looked up and gave him a hug and a kiss. Then he said, "And now I have to ask you a question." He got down on one knee, pulled out a ring and said, "Will you marry me?"

I wanted to scream, "YES!" But I wasn't crying and I thought for sure I'd be crying. So in my mind I was confused because I felt overwhelmed with happiness but no tears. Then I got out of my mind and back into him on his knee and said, "YES!" But I was holding out the wrong hand. He grabbed my left hand and put the ring on my finger. Perfect fit.

We stood in the gazebo, hugged and kissed for maybe 15-20 minutes. Telling each other, "I love you so much."

We started to walk some more on the boardwalk and that's when it hit me. Happy tears started flowing down my face. Delayed reaction I guess. We hugged and kissed some more before finding a bench to sit on. We then called our family members and told them the news.

There's no date set yet but we did decide we want something small. Maybe Vegas? We don't quite know yet. I do know that I'm happy. Happier than I've ever been. Not because I'm engaged, but because I've found someone who truly makes me happy, as I do him.

16 comments:

Kira said...

...I've been waiting for the details, and my patience has now been rewarded. Yay! I'm so happy for you, April. He comes across as a fantastic man who is a great match for you, and I'm so glad you guys found each other :)

Barefoot Dreamer said...

I did the same thing - didn't answer because I was waiting for the happy tears - but there weren't any.....

Congrats Girl....so happy for you

Osbasso said...

I'm a sucker for the mushy, romantic stories... Congratulations!

Southern Sage said...

That is awesome girl!

Saweeeeeeeeeeet!
Do Vegas the first week of Nov and I'll sing and dance at the wedding!

Congrats!

alana said...

Congrats!!!!

Joker_SATX said...

A big round of Congrats from this Joker and all the inmates here at Arkham.

Hubman said...

That Joe must be one very smart man, not letting a girl like you get away!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Britni TheVadgeWig said...

Congrats!

KBear said...

CONGRATS GIRL!! so happy for you and Joe!!!

Randi said...

So wonderful! I just could not be happier for you.
I remember when Husband proposed. I was crying so much I forgot to say Yes... so...

Another Suburban Mom said...

Congratulations! And yes to Vegas!

J.R.Shirley said...

Congratulations! May you be very happy together.

John

J.R.Shirley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.R.Shirley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.R.Shirley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barefoot Dreamer said...

seriously so happy for you