Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 03

Thirty Days of Truth
Day 03: Something you have to forgive yourself for.


Failing at my marriage. I know that it wasn't entirely my fault. I know we definitely weren't meant to be together. And I know that I was utterly and completely unhappy. But my dad has been married 5 times. (Well 6 if you count the 19 y/o girl he went and married in Puerto Rico and then left when she sprung 3 kids on him and said he had to support all of them. He may very well be married to her still.) When I got married I didn't invite my dad to my wedding, which made him extremely upset. He told me, "You'll definitely be divorced sooner or later." I guess those words have haunted me because I still feel like a failure for getting divorced, despite knowing it was the right thing to do.

I need to just forgive myself for making a horrible life choice by getting married to begin with.

3 comments:

Jim said...

Pretty easy to make ourselves into punching bags, isn't it?

As long as you know you're better off by getting out of that relationship . . . which sounds like the completely RIGHT and corrective decision . . . then let it go.

You're a good person :-)

XO

Randi said...

Hear, hear, Jim!

Mad Hater said...

You should forgive yourself. The only basis for not forgiving yourself was not correcting the error. Been there done that. Just be very smart the next go around. Compromise in the relationship but do not compromise for the relationship.

Nice blog, I just came across it tonight.