Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 17

Thirty Days of Truth
Day 17: A book you’ve read that changed your views on something.


This is sad, but I don't read much. Reading makes me very sleepy, regardless of how interesting the book is. But I will say that when Ethan was in kindergarten, his teacher told me that she thought he had ADHD and that I should medicate him. I read the book Ritalin Is Not The Answer which really gave me a great perspective on ADHD and the meds prescribed for it. The book provided ways for parents to discipline their children in a way that works for them. It also talked about diet and other factors that may cause children to exhibit traits of ADHD. Basically it helped parents deal with their possible ADHD children without putting them on medication.

In case you're curious, I did take him to a doctor back then to get him tested for ADHD and the doctor said, "He is a typical boy. The problem isn't him, it's the teachers. Now-a-days they all want these cookie-cutter children who do no wrong. When the kids act like kids, the teachers either don't know how to handle them or don't want to. It's easier to dope the kid up than to teach him how to behave in a classroom setting."

2 comments:

Joe Nobody said...

I have said the same thing for years. Kids are supposed to be active and bouncing off the walls sometime. I coached a kid in basketball who was on these meds and he always looked like he was about to go to sleep. He was not energetic like the other kids. My youngest daughter bounced off the walls when she was young. She would go outside and run laps around the house.

Grant said...

I've known too many parents who also think it's easier just to medicate the kids when they act like children.