Monday, March 07, 2011

Exactly the same but different

Lately I've been looking online, trying to find different recipes for dinner. The staples in our house are steak, chicken, pork chops and fish. I've generally always made them the same way. After a while, that gets old. There's a world of spices out there beyond salt and pepper, I just never knew which ones to use and on what meat.

I've found several yummy recipes so far. Last week I made a really juicy, delicious pork chop dish that was a hit with the guys. I tweaked the recipe a bit, based on the recommendation of one of the reviewers, and added some rosemary and thyme to the rub. Total yummy in my tummy.

Anyway, this post isn't about the food I made or want to make, it's about the reviews. I read review after review of people who make comments like, "This dish is absolutely PERFECT! I didn't use the sage or salt, instead I used garlic powder and lemon pepper seasoning. I also didn't cook it in the pan, I just put it in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees." Basically, the only thing they used that the recipe called for was the damn piece of meat! Shit, they didn't even cook it the same way.

There are so many reviews like this. And to be honest, it slightly pisses me off. The review should be of the recipe posted. Sure, people tweak recipes to their liking all the time. Instead of 2 tablespoons of salt, they'll use 1. Maybe they'll use an onion instead of shallots. Little things that still make the recipe "the recipe" but to that persons taste.

People will give the recipe 5 stars! How do they even know what the recipe posted tastes like if they didn't even use the majority of the ingredients?

I know, I know, there are more important things going on in the world for me to be bitching about dumbasses posting ridiculous reviews on a recipe website. I just wanted to write about it because I'm short on posting material.

Deep Throat of the Day: A peppercorn filet (pictured above) recipe is in store for tonight! Yummy!

8 comments:

Joe Nobody said...

lol

alana said...

Ha! this actually bothers me too. Once I'd been cooking for a while I realized recipes are more of a guide or a tool to learn new approaches, but it still bothers me when people aren't accurate in their reviews. Usually it's the negative ones that get to me though. You'll see reviews that say "I hate cilantro" and it's like wtf? I hate salmon but I don't run around reviewing salmon recipes I haven't even tried.

Anyhoo, good luck with the branching out thing! I hate when I get stuck in ruts. Foodgawker usually comes to the rescue though. lol

Jim said...

Do your people like peanut butter? I have an awesome recipe for an Indian (as in India, not American) peanut butter pasta thing, with shredded chicken. Really, really good.

XO

f1trey said...

oh man ! now im hungry!

April said...

Alana: Thanks! I haven't come across a negative review for a stupid reason yet. Keyword there, yet. I understand that people will do variations of the recipe, but in several of these reviews, literally, the only thing in common is the meat. They'll say they LOVE the recipe, but how can they? Didn't didn't do anything remotely close to the recipe.

Jim: Sure! I'd love to try that recipe. My guys love peanut butter.

Joker_SATX said...

I will put in a shameless plug here. You may want to check out Another Suburban Mom's blog, especially on Friday. I get many of my recipes from her every Friday on the Friday Foodies posts. And they are really delicious. There are some that I did not care for but that is because of the food itself and not the recipe. I believe that woman can make any food taste good.

Tell her the Joker sent ya!

April said...

Joker: I LOVE ASM! I read her blog daily. I especially love her Friday Foodie posts. I've already made the garlic knots she posted along with a few other dishes. Good stuff. And oh yeah, I'm sure she can cook. I wouldn't turn down an invite for dinner if she asked. ;-)

Andrea said...

I really liked this post. Except while I read it, I also read portions of the NY Times website and a few Twitter posts instead of all of the paragraphs here. It was a good read. I highly recommend!

:)