Thursday, March 17, 2011

So happy

Joe said we can get a dog as soon as possible! Originally he said we had to wait until after we got married because we're saving for our wedding. BUT, he's feeling the doggy itch, too. YAY! So, we're in the process of getting approved for adoption from a local Pit Rescue.

This adoption process is VERY thorough. You have to fill out an application online. In that application, they ask you a million questions. You are required to be a homeowner and have a fully fenced yard. Apparently, puppy Pits are stolen from yards often. Fences don't prevent them from being stolen, but it makes it slightly more difficult.

After the application, they do a phone interview. Once that's gone well, they call your references. If that process goes smoothly, they do a home visit. Then, if you're approved, you get to meet the dog(s) you're interested in and take them home that day if all goes well.

We have our eyes on a 6 month old Pit mix girl named Hannah. As you can see from the picture, she's just adorable! Her foster mom said that she's very much a lover. She likes to cuddle and is very playful. At first she was shy and timid, but she's opened up and those traits have gone away. She's fully potty and crate trained, which is very convenient. I can't wait!

We've done the phone interview and they've called one reference that I know of so far. Hopefully we can get the home visit done on Saturday, then meet Hannah on Sunday. If we absolutely love her during the meeting (which I know I will because I love most dogs) we will have a new member of our family come Sunday night! Things going so quickly may be wishful thinking on my part, but I know they want these dogs to find forever homes as soon as possible. So keep your fingers crossed!

Deep Throat of the Day: I hope I didn't just jinx us by writing this. =)

6 comments:

Grant said...

I hate phone interviews. They don't allow me the opportunity to show off my collection of chainsaws. I always tell people that in a phone interview and, as a sign of their respect, they never bother me again. Feel free to use any of my suggestions without giving me credit.

Joe Nobody said...

I know you are one happy camper. Hell, its easier to adopt a kid than a dog. lol

Jim said...

"Fully potty and crate trained" . . . yeah, uh hunh. Let the whittling and chewing begin :-)

XO

Andrea said...

I'll do a happy puppy dance of good luck for you!!

Joker_SATX said...

Best of luck to you! I just hope that not going on extended vacations because of the pooch won't bother you.

Randi said...

Good luck! She looks like a sweetie.