Friday, July 01, 2011

Panic

I don't think I've mentioned here that we ended up getting another dog. To make a long story short, I was volunteering with the dog rescue and fell in love with this awesome Boxer/Rot mix, Scotty. Knowing that Joe wouldn't want another dog, I thought he might be down for fostering this poor dog, who was in a doggy daycare facility and without a foster family. He said to bring him home and see how well he got along with Bailey. They were instant friends! Of course, Joe fell in love with him, too, so we ended up keeping him.

Fast forward to this morning.

I let the dogs outside to go potty and play. We have a big, fenced-in back yard for them to roam around in. It was maybe 7:45 or so, when I let them out. I was listening to my favorite morning radio show and playing some Zuma Blitz. Next thing I know, it's 9:00am and they hadn't wanted to come back in the house. I opened the door, called their names, and whistled. Nothing. So I go into the yard only to find that they weren't there.

They had dug a hole under the fence and ran away.

Behind our house is woods. Those woods are scattered with paved trails that are moderately traveled. There's also a creek not so far from the house. I called for them into the woods with no response. This is when I started to freak out. My one-legged ass ran faster than I've ever ran before, through the yard, down the stairs, into the house to our bedroom. I woke up Joe in a panic, which obviously caused him to jump out of bed.

I ran back outside into our back yard, calling for them. Joe came out and told me to go check out the front of the house. I went out there and did not find them, which is when I started to have a panic attack. I couldn't breathe and I was freaking out. I went back to the back of the house and ran out into the woods, calling them and whistling over and over as best I could considering I couldn't catch my breath. I'm sure I sounded like a dying cat when yelling their names.

I was standing about 5 feet away from this steep drop off that leads to the creek. I couldn't get close to the drop off to see if the dogs were down there because of the way the woods were laid out. So I just stood there, calling, whistling, crying, panic-ing, and feeling completely helpless. Joe was further down the woods also calling and whistling. I don't think he was in as much of panic though.

Finally, I heard the clinking of their collars and there they were, running up to me. Immediately I felt a sense of calm, and I was able to really cry tears of relief. They were soaking wet, probably from playing in the creek. Joe ushered them into our yard and the world began to move again.

That 15 minutes was the longest 15 minutes I can possibly remember. I had so many horrible thoughts go through my head. Yes, they're both microchipped and yes, they both have name tags with contact info, but still, that was some scary shit. I'm just so, so happy that they made it home safe and sound. I just love those dogs.

Deep Throat of the Day: You know those 2 were living it up, frolicking in the creek. Assholes.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I freaked out just reading this! Good lord.

Little assholes.

Hubman said...

When Lucy was a puppy she was a master escape artist. And talk about fast, I could never catch the little fucker! I soon learned that all I had to do keep her in sight and she'd soon tire of the game and would either head home on her own or come to me. Fortunately we lived in a quiet area and there wasn't much concern about cars and such.

Westcoast Weirdo said...

My dogs are my kids so I'd be freaking out too! So glad they were ok :)