Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Delivery

I'm convinced that technology is causing people to lose their damn minds. Well, at least the part of their minds that control their ability to know the appropriate way to deliver certain information to others. Let me give you an example. My Aunt Linda posted the following, word for word, on my Facebook wall:
"April your grandmother past away this evening Oct 8th at 10:13 PM. Beverly and I were with her. She past peacefully."

Keep in mind, this WAS my notification of my grandmother passing away. And it wasn't until I saw a text message from a friend saying, "I'm sorry to hear about your grandma" that I even realized something had happened because I hadn't checked my Facebook yet.

Then a week or so ago I received a text message from my little sister letting me know she's getting married....THAT DAY!

Now, I have no issues with technology. I think it's brought us to places we've never thought possible and will continue to bring us places we can only dream of. However, there are just some things that are personal and should be shared on the most personal level possible. A grandparent passing and a sibling marrying are 2 of them, in my opinion. I feel that both my aunt and my sister should have picked up the phone and called to deliver their news to me since they couldn't have delivered it in person.

Am I wrong for feeling that way?

Deep Throat of the Day: The Packers are still undefeated! 9-0! Woo Hoo! Not much of a deep throat but it makes me happy.

6 comments:

Jim McKee said...

You are not wrong. I totally agree with you! Now, if you were hiking thru Africa or some such, and the person had no way of reaching you, it's better than nothing. But in the normal context of life, that is just WRONG!

Joe Nobody said...

I totally agree with you. That is more or less how I get news so I totally understand. 10 years ago I got sticky notes left for me so at least now I don't have to at home to get information. Lol

Andrea said...

I would be pissed beyond belief if I found out about my Grandmother dying via a effing post on my effing Facebook wall!!! Holyfuckamoly.

You pick up the phone and you call.

My sister texts me most information, but I know her motivating factors and they piss me off, too.

You're not wrong. At all. They are.

Amy said...

No, girl, you are very right. You know what else is inappropriate? Serious condolences via Facebook. If it is a school friend you haven't seen in years, it's ok. If it's family, pick up the phone or get a card!

Hubman said...

Allow me to play devil's advocate and say at least you found out. Several years ago my mom made a passing reference to "when Aunt Dorothy died" and my response was "she's dead? when did she die?" Turns out she has passed away 6 months earlier and mom forgot to tell me.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother.

April said...

Hubman, this is true! I would have been more upset had they not have told me. However, since they did choose to tell me, they could have picked a more personal way. ;-) And thank you for your condolences.

Amy, thanks for your comment! I saw you have 2 blogs with no posts. I look forward to reading when you start writing.